Saturday, June 5, 2010

Black City Chick In The Northwoods Of Wisconsin

"Excuse me miss, are you hiring? " That was me over 10 years ago asking a convenience store manager of the North woods of Wisconsin for a job which I was blessed to get on the spot. The scenery was so different from the City of Chicago. No ghettoness except for country ghetto I suppose but no city gangbangers and prostitutes on street corners. And I was happy to see such friendliness in a town that hasnt changed much. There are some in each nationality that are full of hate in the cities at least where I come from, and they all have their groups and their little corners of the world that they dont want to share. I hated it, I didn't want to be apart of such ignorance and discrimination. Everyday there was shooting which I witnessed quite a bit and that grieved me in my soul. 
 
But I made it out by the grace of God because he knew I was not happy and he knew what I needed. When I made it here to this small town of less than 4000 people I was relieved and had no idea God was setting the scene for my life. My husband which was my boyfriend at the time and his brother was recruited for basketball scholarships. I was happy to see him leave the city and get a less distracted education. However, I was sad because the only person really loving me was leaving me. I had my own college to attend but Id rather be with Him. Marlon, My husband is a sweet, gentle Godly man who loved me like no other and I him, and I wasn't about to let him out of my site too long.

After a year of collage, Marlon came back for a couple of weeks and then was headed back to work the basketball camp for kids to make some extra money. I was not happy. " I'm going with you " I demanded " you're not leaving me again " I shouted. And so it was, I packed my things and went to live with the bears, coyotes, skunks, mesquitos, country folks, hillbillies, farmers, Mennonites, Amish, and rednecks, and I loved it! It sort of reminded me of " Little House On The Prairie " I love that show, and my family and I watch it all the time on dvd. I have to tell you though, these are a great bunch of people God put in our path.  
 
1999 is the year I came to Wisconsin, and I was so ecstatic to transfer my college credits and be here full time with the love of my life. In the beginning of the school year We were introduced by another college student to a attend a bible study in the library. Prior to that, Marlon and I had been considering changing our lives spiritually because we were convicted about having sex before marriage and didn't want to go to hell. So now here we are with answered prayers for a change and attending Thursday night bible studies. We also attended Sunday services of an apostolic Pentecostal church that was on fire for God and I loved it. Despite what anybody thinks of this church and my own personal beliefs I love being apart of such a wonderful group of Holy Ghost filled believers.

On October 31,1999 Marlon and I and the basketball coach were all baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of our sins. We received Jesus as our personal savior. On December 12th of the same year We became Husband and Wife. We were one. A year went by and while Marlon was still finishing his last year of school I quit out of boredom to run my own daycare. Later, I became pregnant with our first baby. I was sad to realize that I wasn't going to be 135 lbs anymore but it was worth it. I enjoyed being active and pregnant, riding four wheelers and taking long walks. That's the one thing I couldn't really enjoy in the cities was walking by myself. There is nothing wrong with the city but where I came from there was a lot wrong with it and I wasn't about to raise my baby there. What I love most about the country was being able to see the moon and the stars so clear you can reach out and touch em. No smog, no sky risers... just me, God and the stars. 
 
Marlon and I were convinced after he received his degree, it was our calling to be here. God had a purpose and we were open to it. He has blessed us with two more beautiful babies, friends, church family and a home we can call our own. We are definitely blessed! Marlon drives the church bus on Wednesday nights and he is also the church treasurer and jail chaplain. Together we teach Wednesday night bible study for the 9-12 year old's and I am also the church drummer 8 years running (a gift, never played before, never had lessons). We both work for Wal-mart going on 3 years. We don't need a lot of money to be happy, but you will never be able to tell we are poor because he has blessed us abundantly. We have friends that think we have a lot of money because we are always smiling and kind others. Others wonder how we make it on Wal-mart wages, I just chuckle and give glory to God.


Wisconsin is my home. I love everything about Wisconsin. The fairs, the rodeos, the people, the Mardi Gras, the animals, the country fields, the green bay packer lovers (not me) that looks ridiculously silly in those cheese hats. The country air, and fresh smell of country fried steak, the small businesses, the friendliness, and yes stinky farms. The pumpkin patches,The fresh fruit and veggies from local farmers, the hunters, and snowmobiles. Backyard bomb fires with the guitar playing and friends singing together. The smell of fresh fire wood burning in the fire places of cozy winter homes. This is the Northwoods that I love.







No comments:

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online